[Wine] Cannot open file in NTFS filesystem on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

jcobban3 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 20 14:07:18 CDT 2008

I am trying to run an old version of Family Tree Maker for Windows.  I got it working on Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, but when I switched to Hard Heron it stopped working.

Specifically when I use the file open dialog to select the database to open I am able to navigate through the Unix directory tree down to the file, but when I request the application to open the selected file I get an error message "Cannot find file".  I look in the ftw.ini file, where the application saves the path to the most recently opened file and the path is correct.  The application just cannot open the file using that path.  I tried two different routes to the file:  tracing down from the mount point of the NTFS file system containing the file, and also following a soft link from my home directory over to the folder containing the file on the NTFS file system.  The only way I can open the file is to copy it over to my linux home directory.  I would prefer to share a single copy of the database between Windows and Linux so I do not have to keep copying it back and forth to keep it in synch.

Any ideas of why opening a file on an NTFS file system would not work on Hardy Heron?