[Wine] Re: Cannot open file in NTFS filesystem on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

jcobban3 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 20 20:51:37 CDT 2008

I am a bit rusty because it has been a few years since I last worked extensively on UNIX but I think I understand what you are getting at.

I just installed Ubuntu and permitted it to set up the configuration.  When I look at /etc/fstab I don't see any of the hard disk partitions described in it, not even the main file system.

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sdb1
UUID=f900070e-2701-4360-98c3-68bc817d012b /               ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sdb5
UUID=d8a7d02f-441c-4d94-8db3-df02963da66b none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

As I understand the above both the main file system and the swap entry are commented out, and there is no entry whatsoever for the Windows partition.  Yet in the running system /dev/sdb1 is mounted on /media/disk and /dev/sda1 (the Windows NTFS partition) is mounted on /media/disk-1.  You will appreciate that being rusty on linux I am cautious about mucking around in these configuration files.  I don't want the automount daemon that is obviously fixing up my configuration to get into a fight with fstab.  I suspect, although I no longer have a copy of it to check, that the previous release of Ubuntu did a hard mount through fstab, and that would explain why the program worked in that release, and not in this one.