[Wine] How to make Garmin see Garmin?

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Sep 21 18:13:39 CDT 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 17:13:40 -0500, vitamin wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
>> Hmmm .... I'm probably being very stupid about that tilde. Fwiw, I got
>> wine by yum install, iirc. My .wine is in /home/btth ; I get :
>>
>> [root at localhost ~]# cd /home/btth
>

> Indeed. NEVER EVER use system as root!
> http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-96bebfa287b4288974de0df23351f278b0d41014
>
> And "~" you just type it as is. It will be auto expanded in shell into
> your home dir.

	OK, I did what the site said. Then I had to remove the extant
com1, which had ignored a chown command, as root.

	Now I have this :
[btth at localhost ~]$ cd ~/.wine/dosdevices
[btth at localhost dosdevices]$ ln -s /dev/ttyS0 com1
ln: creating symbolic link `com1': File exists
[btth at localhost dosdevices]$ rm com1
[btth at localhost dosdevices]$ ls
c:  d::  e::  z:
[btth at localhost dosdevices]$ ln -s /dev/ttyS0 com1
[btth at localhost dosdevices]$ ls
c:  com1  d::  e::  z:
[btth at localhost dosdevices]$

	-- and still can't connect to the GPS (which I do have set to the
Garmin interface, yes; and I've tried both with preference set to com1
and set to auto).

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3