[Wine] Application can't access the internet or start a browser

jkwan wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Sep 22 10:42:41 CDT 2008

Hi,

I've been trying to install ChemDraw 11.0 (not on AppDB), using the site license owned by my department on Ununtu 8.04 using Wine 0.9.59.  I got the installation to go OK, but when I start the program I get stuck at the part where you put the registration code in and activate the program.  When I choose the "Activate over the internet" option, nothing happens for a while, then it says the server timed out.  I think the program can't access the internet (however, the win version of firefox seems to do fine).

When I use the "Activate over email/phone/fax", a browser window is supposed to come up with details that I'm supposed to send to the company.  Instead nothing happens and I get the following in the terminal:

preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
Usage: winebrowser URL

I noticed that when I start firefox, every time it thinks it is not the default browser no matter how many times I click "Yes" to make it so.  I tried the package in winetricks which makes it look like internet explorer is installed, but I get the same thing with ChemDraw.

Any ideas?

Jason