[Wine] Silly answers to silly questions for a silly Noob.

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 23 12:54:33 CDT 2008

JDorfler <wineforum-user at winehq.org> at Sep 23, 2008 9:39 AM (MST) wrote about [Wine]  Silly answers to silly questions for a silly Noob.

>OK, I'm a noob to Wine.  I've figured some stuff out with Wine and it sees everything I want it to see just fine.

Welcome to the Wine Club!

>OK, I understand why you don't want Wine to see your windows install, but I put all my program installs on a separate partition.  Now with this in mind can I just have Wine look at my Program Files and run my apps from there, or do I have to reinstall all the apps I want Wine to run on my Linux partition via Wine?

You should reinstall all of the applications to insure that registry changes are written to the Wine registry by the program's installer.  Without these changes and updates, your programs may not run.  Also, it is suggested that you have one version installed for Windows and another for Wine.  You should NOT link the C:\Program Files from any Windows installation to replace the C:\Program Files in Wine.  This is discussed in the Frequently Asked Questions area on Wine HQ.

>So with that, There's only a few things I want to run in Wine, mostly older games I have hanging around since the Win95 era.  Mostly stuff that doesn't run in SCUMMVM or DOSBOX.  Such as Baldur's Gate II, Escape From Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, and other such classics.

Please visit the Applications Database to discover what must be done, if anything, to make these games run under Wine.  Some older games do not run properly because of requirements that the games impose on the Windows API that Wine does not presently support.

James McKenzie