[Wine] How do you make wine do real uninstalls?

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Wed Sep 24 15:37:16 CDT 2008

	I have tried installing various GPS/topo map software suites on
four Fedora machines under wine. On three of them, the install claims to
succeed; the suite fails even to launch; I try to uninstall it; the
uninstall either admits failure, or pretends to succeed while leaving the
software still there and clickable (but, of course, not launchable).

	On one, I then ran a Fedora search (beagle, I suppose) against
the filesystem, checking for any such software still there; found none;
did "yum remove wine" followed by "yum install wine" -- and found the new
wine still offering the worthless installs.

	Sometimes, in fact, the install tries to *re*-install, even
though I have called it in the first place from wine's uninstall function.

	I realize the fault is most likely in Windows (XPPro/SP2 here),
or in the software itself.

	But even so, there must be a way for linux to trash the whole
b'ilin' and start over ....

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3