[Wine] Re: How to access partition on HD...

Tlarhices wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 25 00:13:31 CDT 2008

jimtanis wrote:
> Ok, I am stupid!  I don't understand HOW to do this.  I have am trying to connect to another computer on my network, and to an external 2tb raid drive connected to it.
>
> HOW Specifically do I mount the drive in wine, and use it?    Assume the computer name is xxxx and the external drive is yyyy
>
> I am just too windows orientated.  Thanks for trying to help me!
>
> Jim Tanis

First you have to choose a folder where you want to mount it. For instance, let's call it "samba_folder"
Start a terminal, type :

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/samba_folder

To prepare the future folder where you will find the files.

We make a copy of the file "/etc/fstab" before playing with it :

Code:
sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.old

Then edit as root the file "/etc/fstab"

Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

You will see some line looking like this :

Code:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda3 UUID=b6084658 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda1 UUID=86BAAFD /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
# /dev/sda2 UUID=9f206381 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0

Don't play with them or your computer might not be able to mount all your partitions ;)

After the last line, add a new one and put this :

Code:
//xxxx/yyyy /mnt/samba_folder smb defaults 0 0

And replace xxxx and yyyy by the name of the computer and the name of the folder respectively and /mnt/samba_folder by the folder you have created at the beginning.

Then restart your computer, run winecfg and add a drive pointing to the /mnt/samba_folder (or whatever you have called it)

If you have a problem at restart and/or have destroyed your /etc/fstab file, just do :
sudo mv /etc/fstab.old /etc/fstab
And restart.

There might be some graphical tools to do it for you but I don't know any.
Also your computer might become slower at boot as it will connect to your samba folder at that time.

If you want to mount it without playing with /etc/fstab, without restarting, ... but you will have to do it after each computer reboot. Google for smbmount and you will find how. I'll not write a complete tutorial on every single way to mount a samba folder, just putting the most "traditional" way of doing it.

If you need more help, ask/search on your distribution forum how to mount a samba folder. This is not a Wine problem by itself.