[Wine] Is this right - and how does it know??

johne53 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 26 10:36:42 CDT 2008

Recently I had to install Crossover Linux which is similar to (and based on) Wine. I needed to check whether my Windows app was compatible both with Wine and Crossover.

Having installed Crossover I was surprised to find that both it and Wine are using Crossover's registry. If I run Wine's regedit.exe and make some kind of change, then I run Crossover's regedit.exe, the change I just made is already available in Crossover's registry. If I examine the files (system.reg) for both apps, I find that Crossover's version has just been modified whereas Wine's hasn't changed for months.

1) Firstly, is this the expected behaviour?

2) and secondly, given that Crossover can have several registries (one for each of its 'bottles') how does Wine know which copy to use?