[Wine] Re: Network Scanning

sveijk wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 26 11:51:55 CDT 2008

dimesio wrote:

> In winecfg, "native" means real Windows dlls, and "builtin" refers to Wine's dlls. And since you just referred to Wine's twain as "native," I have to ask this: are you sure you set the override correctly?  It  may not have been necessary to "forcibly remove" Wine's twain.

Sorry, that was just my mistake inversing the naming convention.  In wineconf it does not give me the option of using an overide for twain_32.dll.  (or anything twain or twunk for that matter).  After removing the package though wine just defaulted to using the windows dll, so problem solved.

> Out of curiosity, what distro are you using? On my system (openSUSE) twain_32.dll.so is part of the regular wine package, not a separate one.

I'm using fedora 7 (at least on this pc) and wine-1.0-0.3.rc3.fc7

> You might want to contact the sane-devel mailing list.

Had a look at the sane-devel mailing list, there are posts from 1999 onwards talking about using twain via wine as a backend for sane.  Then everyone realises what a load of work it will be and gives up.  Although maybe the first hurdle has already been crossed, getting anything to twain in wine using a windows driver.

If i can make a psuedo linux version of twain_32.dll, using winelib, and get that to talk to the scanner driver, then I might consider trying to write a sane backend.  Or maybe at that point someone at sane would consider writing the backend.  It would be a bit of an odd one, as it would be a backend that would rely on wine to run..

But if this all seems too tricky I'm quite happy having to twain from some wine program and saving to disk rather than pulling stuff directly into an app using sane.  At least that is working now, so all is good  :D