[Wine] Problem getting wine to run my chess program

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 2 22:02:34 CDT 2009

vitamin wrote:
> Peter Teoh wrote:
>
>> I got the following error in dmesg output:
>>

> That is all irrelevant to Wine.
>

> Peter Teoh wrote:
>
>> The chess program managed to startup, with some 3D effects, and then sounds came out, and then after sometime, promptly X restart itself - back to Fedora Core 10 login screen.
>>

> Most likely bad video drivers - reinstall them. Unless of course you running as root - then login as regular user.

He was running as ROOT  Ro=root=UUID.....

DO NOT RUN WINE AS ROOT, unless you really need to and are aware that
bad things can and may happen to your system.

The garbage posted looks like a really bad Linux installation.  You may
have to re-install Linux to overcome this (again, warning about running
Wine as ROOT.)

First, after you correct your Linux problems, try running Wine as a
NON-PRIVILEGED user.  If you encounter problems, such as the inability
to run ping, then you may try as ROOT with the warning that bad things
may happen.

Second, if this does not work, try another distribution of Linux.

James McKenzie