[Wine] how can i revert back to msi installer old version

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 2 23:00:01 CDT 2009

rd1381 wrote:
> austin987 wrote:

>>> how do i use a different prefix?
>>>

>> The WINEPREFIX environmental variable.
>>

>>> what is a prefix?
>>>

>> Where wine stores its settings/files.
>>

>>> does that mean i would have many .wine folders?
>>>

>> sortof, you'd have them named different things, but yes.
>>
>> --
>> -Austin
>>

> thanks but i hoped there was a gui prefix manager or something like that
> that would be so cool

There was a launcher under construction.  I don't know its status.

However, the name for different wine prefixes is to call them bottles
(Wine does come in them.)

If you want a program with a nice GUI interface and are willing to pay
for it, there is CrossOver for Linux/Mac.

However, if you don't want to go that way, you can do this:

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/my_new_wine_prefix wine <your installation program goes
here>

from the directory for your program.

Then you can invoke the program by typing in:

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/my_new_wine_prefix wine 'C:\Program Files\<installation
directory of your program>\<program name>.exe

This should run your program.

James McKenzie