[Wine] How can we improve WINE?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 3 14:17:10 CDT 2009

fcmartins <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote on Apr 3rd:

>> I would like to see better error handling, aka the Windows/MacOSX dump which captures
>> to a file and allows the user to report to Microsoft/Apple. Â The ignore feature is
>> one thing to be added.
>
>There are already plenty of bugs in the database waiting for attention ;-)

I agree.  The appdb should have enough intelligence to figure out when a duplicate report is submitted through this method.  We don't have enough folks to triage bugs if this were the case.

>Which is not to say there is no room for improvement in the handling of crashes and user support.

That is correct.

>At least,  the crashes should not be silent: a dialog box with some explanation, a text box where
>to copy output info from (alternatively show how to use terminal), point people to this forum.

That might make people upset.  However, they will have a place to send in reports.

>Make a bridge between appdb and wine, so that when a certain app crashes, an howto could be
>displayed, and/or a link to the appdb page is provided.

This is a good thought, but what happens when the application is not in the AppDB?  Users are trying to use new programs all the time.  Should we allow them to create a new entry and provide input?  These are items for discussion.

James McKenzie