[Wine] How can we improve WINE?

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 14:23:33 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 2:17 PM, James Mckenzie
<jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>Make a bridge between appdb and wine, so that when a certain app crashes, an howto could be
>>displayed, and/or a link to the appdb page is provided.
>
> This is a good thought, but what happens when the application is not in the AppDB?  Users are trying to use new programs all the time.  Should we allow them to create a new entry and provide input?  These are items for discussion.

It's been discussed quite a bit on both wine-users and wine-devel. The
consensus was it's very hard to detect what program it is, e.g., even
for many common programs you have different versions/languages/etc. Do
you bundle the information with Wine? If so, it gets outdated quickly.
If you don't, what happens when a user doesn't have an internet
connection?

Looking up the information on AppDB isn't THAT hard, and developers
time is better spent fixing bugs rather than making an appdb bridge.

--
-Austin