[Wine] IPX and AMD64 not mixing?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 4 22:18:28 CDT 2009

Sephiroth wrote:
> That's what the reason was.  I had forgotten what the problem with IPX was that made it unacceptable for the Internet, but that was it.  Still, I have a friend who worked for Intel and he once told me about that private line running between two big offices in separate areas.  I'll ask him about it when I see him again.

IPX can and is run at two different locations if they appear as one.
The problem was that IPX was not designed to be routed through what is
now called the Internet.  Thus you can have two very large installations
of IPX systems and they will talk to each other.

The real problem with using IPX on Linux is that the communications
interface is restricted to the root group, much like ICMP (Ping and like
programs).  This is not a shortcoming of Wine.  All Wine should do is
hand off requests to the protocol to the Linux processes that handle them.

James McKenzie