[Wine] Help installing software with multiple cd's

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sun Apr 5 22:10:36 CDT 2009

Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 3:32 AM, Warren Dumortier <nwarrenfl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Little question: will wine ever handle multiple discs without
> > using wine eject? It's very annoying, but if i remember it is
> > because it doesn't eject due to
>
> The problem is that there's a file handle open in *nix, e.g., the
> bash terminal.

Ideally, wine would figure out that the application has requested
a disk change and do "wine eject" internally.  In practice, the
detection would probably turn out to be a Turing test.

What *could* be done would be to access removable devices (at least,
CDs and floppies) without having them mounted, using something along
the lines of mtools.  I've never understood the point of having the
whole-device symlinks (such as $WINEPREFIX/dosdevices/d::) unless
they were intended to be used for access to unmounted devices.