[Wine] Re: The Rosetta Stone : Installer doesn't work

chtit_draco wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 7 03:33:19 CDT 2009

Gert van den Berg wrote:

> chtit_draco: Try copying FreeCOM into your Wine Windows /
> windows/command directory:
> http://www.freedos.org/cgi-bin/lsm.cgi?mode=lsm&lsm=base/command.lsm
>
> Gert

I downloaded command.com from http://www.fdos.org/kernel/#branches, stable branch and put it into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows (putting it into the command directory doesn't work).

Running Setup.exe now gives:

Code:

matth at PCmatthieu:/media/cdrom0$ wine setup.exe
fixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "C:\\windows\\temp\\IXP028.TMP\\" 00000000
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
wine: Cannot start DOS application "C:\\windows\\Command.com"
      because vm86 mode is not supported on this platform.

Running the command.com in wine gives the same message:

Code:

matth at PCmatthieu:~/.wine/drive_c/windows/command$ wine command.com
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA ATI HDMI, disabling mixer
wine: Cannot start DOS application "C:\\windows\\command\\command.com"
      because vm86 mode is not supported on this platform.

Maybe this is because I have an AMD64 architecture (Intel Core2Duo)?

What baffles me is that several people didn't have any problem installing this version of The Rosetta Stone on wine according to the wineAppDB...  :?

chtit_draco