[Wine] crash: can't start 3d app =((

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 14:06:06 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 1:34 PM, James Mckenzie
<jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Maybe it is time to revive the request to build support into Wine for this ugly monster. (I know what vitamin's response will be, we don't need to revisit that conversation, this is just an idea, not a demand.)

The problem is that Pulseaudio should be backwards compatible with
Alsa/etc. Esound/Alsa/Jack/etc., which Wine has support for, were all
considered the 'perfect audio solution' at one time or another, but
now, they're considered archaic/inferior. Pulseaudio is likely to have
the same fate. AJ doesn't want to add _another_ driver, which will
require more maintenance in the years to come, have more bugs to fix,
etc. Wine works fine with Alsa, and if Pulseaudio supports Alsa, it
should work fine. If not, fix Pulseaudio.

--
-Austin