[Wine] Re: How can we improve WNE?

man_in_shack wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 8 19:25:36 CDT 2009

James Mckenzie wrote:

> KISS is a princple that has to be pounded into some developers.  I'll let you guess which category you are in.  If you can provide a simple, easy to use graphical interface, that is MUCH better for them.

Settings clutter.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> BTW, I work with these people on a daily basis and you would be amazed that they want a PowerPoint presentation, with bullets, or you don't get what you want.

Feel free to create a bunch of PPTs for AppDB instructions and FAQ entries. Obviously, they are NEEDED, because we HAVE TO CATER to the id10ts that use Wine, right?

James Mckenzie wrote:

> man_in_shack wrote:
> >
> > How about keep winecfg simple? I like this idea better.
> >

> I agree,

Resolved. Argument over.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> but in the meantime, while we work through the problems, give the users what they need to get their programs working.

Can't keep winecfg simple *and* add a bunch of settings in the mean time.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> I have to bring forward something that I was told in my marketing class in college:

When did Wine get a marketing department? And when were you appointed its director?

Wine does very well increasing its user base without traditional marketing already, just like other opensource projects.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> continue pissing off users

Because that's exactly what I'm *trying* to do, right?

James Mckenzie wrote:

> Most of the people here want people to use the product

Which they buy with money, and pay continuing service and support fees, right? Oh wait, Wine doesn't cost money, nor does it cost for support. You have a very business-related viewpoint which I feel is irrelevant to Wine and opensource in general.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> Of course, Windows does not give you the ability to change each and every setting, nor should Wine.

So let's not do it then. Argument over.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> However, settings that fix problems should be easy for users to find and set, with WARNINGS.  This way, when a user comes to us, we can say "We warned you and you did it anyway".

And they can say "WHAT WARNING IT WASN'T BIG ENOUGH I DIDN'T SEE IT WINE SUCKS". It's just harder for them to say it, but remember, these are id10ts, because we only care about id10ts.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> Right now, people are going through the archives, visiting the Applications Database and breaking Wine and then blaming us, rightfully so.

You're an AppDB admin, so fix AppDB.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> man_in_shack wrote:
> >
> > So delete the pages, or rename it to UselessRegistryKeys. See how many friends you make doing
> > that. Why do the pages exist if it's not for users to look at?
> >

> We should have this information in the FAQs, where needed, and in the Applications Database.  That is where we should be sending users, not to a page full of registry keys.

This is how it works:
User: "It's broken!"
Supporter: "Did you check AppDB?"
User: "Yes, no help. Here's the error I get: blah blah"
Supporter: "Hmm, try changing this setting with regedit. It's listed in UsefulRegistryKeys. You want this specific option."
User: "Thank you. Wine is awesome and so is everyone who supports it."

or:
User: "AppDB tells me to change this setting but I can't find it."
Supporter: "It's listed in UsefulRegistryKeys. You want this specific option, and you need to edit it with regedit"

James Mckenzie wrote:

> That is how the average user sees things.  "You told me to go to page XXX in the manual, I followed each instruction with extreme care, your program does not work, fix the xxxxx or give my my money back."

They're welcome to ask WineHQ for their money back. I'm sure everyone involved will be willing to help them reclaim every cent they paid WineHQ for Wine.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> We don't need to fost a partial product on unsuspecting users without a method to help them.

Sorry, but that's what we have to do. Wine *is* by nature an unfinished, unfriendly, partial "product". Even (especially?) stable branch is like that.

BY NATURE, not something that can be fixed by adding a bunch of settings to winecfg ... unless you WANT settings clutter.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> And dealing with graphic problems is what we are here to do.  Users should have a simple way to make changes.

I've worked out what's going on here, see below.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> man_in_shack wrote:
> >
> > Still sounds a lot like "Click here to break everything" to me. Not everything needs to be
> > configurable through winecfg, or winecfg would already be a complete registry editor.
> >

> I agree.

Resolved. Argument over.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> What I'm saying is if a user has to change a commonly known setting, it should be available through winecfg.  If it is not well known or deprecated, then it is time to get into regedit and only by knowledgable users.

In that case, we want EVERY SINGLE KEY listed on UsefulRegistryKeys to be editable by nice pretty UI via winecfg. No one is arguing for this though; it's restricted to the Graphics tab. All of the keys on UsefulRegistryKeys are well known and (almost all) are not deprecated, or going to be deprecated any time soon.

> [...]
>

> James Mckenzie wrote:
> >

> > man_in_shack wrote:
> > >
> > > Are you prepared to pay the supporters on wine-users, forum and #winehq? If not, don't
> > > expect "professional-level" support.
> > >

> > No, but then again, I bought CrossOver for Mac.  And I plan on keeping up support to Jeremy and company.  That is when I can complain about something not working.
> >

> Good on you! One snag though, CrossOver is not Wine, and Codeweavers are not WineHQ. I'm fully aware of the work that Codeweavers put into Wine, and very appreciative of it, but purchasing a copy of CrossOver does not give you license to complain about how Wine works. It does give you license to complain to Codeweavers about how CrossOver works, and if you can convince them, they can work on getting Wine changed too.
>

> James Mckenzie wrote:
> >

> > man_in_shack wrote:
> > >
> > > There is certainly room for improvement, but how much of Wine should be configurable via winecfg
> > > or the Control Panel?
> > >

> > The same amount as is in msconfig and Control Panel.  Users should not have to dig through the registry to make known changes.
> >

> Control Panel and msconfig on Windows do not give you advanced OpenGL or DirectX settings. Depending on what video driver you have installed, you can access advanced OpenGL/DirectX/D3D settings, but it's not something provided by Microsoft.
>
> Also note that Control Panel has a whole bunch of settings that can't be implemented in Wine, but that's a matter for another discussion.
>

> James Mckenzie wrote:
> >
> > And we have users whining about how to use the regedit.
>

> And we ONLY care about them, right?
>

> James Mckenzie wrote:
> >
> > For some users, regedit is not scary.  For some users, they have been told, rightfully, never, ever use regedit.  Those are the users we have to have a solution for.  You got one, and it CANNOT include the words, "take this file and run regedit against it".
>

> Agreed. Would you like to fix up AppDB and remove all the .reg files and similar instructions?
>

> James Mckenzie wrote:
> >
> > If we can say, go to the XX tab on winecfg and click this setting, they will do it.  Of course, we will have to warn them that bad things can and will happen.
>

> Along the same lines on AppDB, once the settings are fixed in Wine and the settings in winecfg are removed we'll get people complaining that the setting in winecfg doesn't exist any more, and we'll have to do a lot of cleaning out of the AppDB. I assume you're volunteering for this task?
>

> James Mckenzie wrote:
> >

> > man_in_shack wrote:
> > >
> > > As I see it, developers THINK they know it all, which leads to a mess.
> > >

> > Obviously, everything AJ has ever done regarding code quality and correctness at the expense of
> > making things "easy" is wrong.
> >

> No, he has kept the code CLEAN.  Easy is not his job.  Correct and proper is.  There is a vast difference.

I argue that providing easy access to these settings is not "correct and proper". Of course, we both want word from AJ about it. I'm sure we can both go along with his decision, whether or not it matches our opinion on the issue.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> If you are working with development level programs, you should expect problems.

That's where we're at. Wine is still in heavy development, hence the 1.1.x "development" branch.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> If you are working with release level code, there should be no 'show stopper' bugs, like Office 2003 not installing properly.  Keep this in mind.

This would be 1.0.x "stable" branch. There are already plenty of "show-stopper" bugs like this where the solution is "upgrade to 1.1.x", like Warcraft 3 or WoW not working at all. Keep this in mind.

James Mckenzie wrote:

> One thing I will leave you with:
> The Customer is the reason we are here today.  WE must meet the customers needs and desires.  Failure to do so will mean that we will NEVER see that customer again.  Customers are ALWAYS right.  They may be mis-informed, ignorant, stupid or even stubborn, but they ARE ALWAYS right.

Wine doesn't have customers. Stop treating it like a business venture.