[Wine] Re: Gentoo, ALSA built as module, no sound in wine (Wow)

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Apr 10 11:19:17 CDT 2009

h2sammo wrote:
> i had tried with alsa checked only (even though to use vent i would need both enabled...right?!)

No. Both ALSA and OSS can be considered big, independent systems to handle sound. You can't use both simultaneously or things would become a mess...

It's a bit of a hack, but you might try setting winecfg to OSS and then run your app like:
aoss wine appname.exe

aoss is a compatibility layer (?) in ALSA that receives OSS-like input and provides ALSA-like output. Or try using only OSS before that, though that might not work because a lot of modern distros stop providing OSS these days (it's pretty old).

I'm probably factually wrong here and there, but I hope you at least know why enabling both in Wine is not a good idea. :)