[Wine] How to discover within my application if executed in Wine?

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 10:46:21 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:23 AM, Cosmin3 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hi.
> Sorry for my bad english..
>
> I'm also a Delphi programmer having also some problems with my applications in Linux.

Ideally, you should file bugs and get them fixed. If Wine fixes the
bug in the future, your application may have unexpected behavior.

> One of the problems is that my program minimizes itself in tray when is monitoring the Clipboard. But I don't see how to do that in Linux using wine - prezent or future...

That should work.

> If someone knows how - please tell me so I can implement it.

Again, file bugs for things that don't work. Detecting Wine itself is
a bad idea. Instead, detect broken behavior. E.g., if a certain
function you need isn't present/doesn't work right, substitute another
code path. That also helps on broken Windows versions.

> And I can't use Lazarus...
>
> My question is for austin987:
>

>> Check for wine specific registry entries.

Wine has a ton of its own registry entries. Technically, someone on
Windows could make those as well.

>> Check environmental variables (I used this method for automated
>> testing with AutoHotKey, I doubt any windows machine has the 'SHELL'
>> environmental variable, unless running under cygwin, which wouldn't
>> work anyway .)

SHELL is usually defined to /bin/sh on Unix (/bin/bash on most
linuxes). On windows, it's likely NULL.

> Which one specifically...? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I am new using wine...

Fix the bug itself :-).

--
-Austin