[Wine] Sound quit working for no reason

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Apr 20 03:09:15 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 18:03 -0500, RedWagon wrote:
> The cool part is I was able to just tar my .wine directory, put it on
> another hard drive, untar it back into the new operating system and
> everything worked without having to reinstall anything.  I even
> upgraded from 1.1.17 to 1.1.19 and it went off without a hitch.

For your future reference, you can do even better than that if you're
willing to define a custom disk layout next time you install a distro.

The trick is this: define an additional ext3 partition and size it to
hold the complete /home directory structure, taking the space from the
default root partition and telling the installer that this partition is
to be used for /home.

Then for future clean installs you reformat all partitions EXCEPT /home,
manually assign uid(s) and gid(s) to match those used in the /home
partition and suddenly your normal login(s) are back and set up exactly
as they used to be, desktop images and all.

Martin