[Wine] wine over ssh

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Apr 23 13:09:24 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 09:29 -0500, vitamin wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > ...which is exactly why I suggested using it. VNC starts up and closes
> > down fast and doesn't block your ssh session.
>
> So how will he run a VNC on non-existing X server?

VNC doesn't need an X-server:

- Xvnc (the program launched by the vncserver script) publishes an X
  server interface for use by the application and provides a private
  VNC service interface for accepting connections as well as an HTTP
  server interface for the vnc applet.

- vncviewer comes in an X-aware versions (you run that on *nix hosts)
  and a Windows version. Probably there are others too.

- there's also a Java applet that runs in any Java-enabled web browser
  that can be used in place of vncviewer.

In short, you can use VNC to run X-applications on a headless server.
That's what it was designed to do.

Martin