[Wine] wine over ssh

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Apr 23 14:18:02 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 13:51 -0500, vitamin wrote:
> Right, you have to start it first. Or there is nothing to vnc into.

Correct.

> VNC or not you still have to "daemonize" the process before you can disconnect. And vnc client connection is not scriptable.

Logging in via ssh to the user you want to access access via VNC,
running "vncserver" and logging out again is enough. VNC stays available
until the next reboot unless you log in again and stop it.

> Anyway, it's hard to guess exactly what OP wanted. What his program
> does, why does he want to run it in background.

I can't work that out. My first assumption was that he wanted to start
an ssh session and use it to run a script on the remote host: the script
would start a WINE application several times and would use X11
forwarding to display its window(s) on the local machine. Now I'm not so
sure. A re-reading suggests he might want to run a script on his local
machine that starts the WINE app on a remote host.

I've decided I don't understand what he wants to do and will say no more
about it until we hear a clear explanation from him.

Martin