[Wine] Wine on MacBook - Linux and OS X problems

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 25 11:43:33 CDT 2009

motorollin wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've been having problems getting a particular game to work properly in Wine under OS X, and have been working on the assumption that it's a software problem with Wine. However, some testing I have done today is making me think it's a problem elsewhere, possibly something to do with graphics drivers. Here's the testing I have done:
>
> OS / Method / Wine Version / Outcome:
>
> OS X Leopard / Native / Various / Black screen or freeze
> Ubuntu 9.04 / Native / 1.0.1 / Black screen or freeze
> Ubuntu 8.10 / Parallels / 1.0.1 / Fully working
> Ubuntu 9.04 / Parallels / 1.0.1 / Fully working
>
> As you can see, in both cases where Wine was running in an OS inside a Parallels virtual machine, it worked. When running inside an OS running natively, the same problems were observed. This even occurred with fresh installs of exactly the same version of Ubuntu. Since the same OS version was used in this case, hence presumably the same version of X11/Xorg, could this be a problem with video drivers or something similar?
>
> It seems odd to me that it works in Parallels but not natively - I would expect it to be the other way round!

This appears to be really interesting as Ubuntu should be using a
different driver than MacOSX.  Have you tried Ubuntu 8.1 native to see
if that works?  If that does not work, then this may be an issue to
bring up with Apple and Ubuntu.

Also, did you try XQuartz 2.3.3?  I know that it requires Leopard 10.5.7
to install.

James McKenzie