[Wine] Re: Steam problem

gamblor01 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 28 17:04:43 CDT 2009

I just reinstalled steam today using wine 1.1.20 and it worked fine.  If it helps, I am using The Orange Box DVDs to install.  I put the DVDs in the drive and then copied their contents to a directory called orangebox on my desktop, and then launched Steam like this:

Code:

$ cd ~/Desktop/orangebox
$ wine msiexec /i SteamInstall.msi
$ cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam
$ wine Steam.exe

You should be able to get it installed the same way (the msiexec command) if you download it from steampowered.com though.

Also, assuming you can get Steam installed, you will need the gecko plugin to be working properly (to simulate IE).  You can just run:

Code:

wine iexplore http://winehq.org

If the page displays then you already have the plugin.  If not, it will prompt you to install it; just let it installs.  Once the page shows up you're all set.

I would say if the install seemed to succeed then you can probably kill the process.  After that, try to start it again and Steam may need to update.  If it hangs at 26%, try the commands on the appdb page: