[Wine] Re: Is it possible to install and successfully run httpd-2.2.11?

Shingoshi wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Apr 30 00:42:49 CDT 2009

Gert van den Berg wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 04:15, James McKenzie wrote:
>
> > Most of us run
> > Apache and Apache-Tomcat, not httpd as it has a much smaller base and
> > Apache is known to work with Wine.
> >

> Appache-httpd is what is commonly know as Apache
>
> @Shingoshi
>
> As for the problem, try finding an installer free version of it and
> try running it. (XAMPP is quite nice and includes a MySQL / PHP, etc)
> You might want to file a bug for the installer anyway...
>
> Post terminal output if it does not run. (Remember to change the port
> if not running as root)
>
> Read the FAQ if you do not know how to do any of the above.
>
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html might be useful as well...
>
> About suggesting the native httpd version, users tend to as questions
> related to a solution they have in mind for a problem, rather than for
> the actual problem. Suggesting K3b / something similar usually work
> better than explaining to someone how to get Nero to run under Wine,
> if all the user want to accomplish is to write a CD. If you stated
> that the linux version would not work for your purposes, you would
> have gotten an answer easier.
>
> Gert

This is an answer I truly appreciate!

There are likely going to be situations where I really need to know why something doesn't work. I have Httpd-2.2.11 installed and running under Linux. But sometimes, I just like to see how some things compare. I have tried suggesting to some of my doctors (who know of my Linux usage) the possibility of running Linux and it's applications, instead of Windows. To that end, I started searching for as many opensource medical applications as I could find. Now some of those doctors have offices which use distributed networks. In fact that is pretty much the norm now for all but the smallest offices. I'm not certain to what degree Apache/Httpd is used in those environments. And since I have NO Windows computers operating, I have no way of checking many of the packages that I would be inclined to suggest the use of.

It is from this perspective that I use Wine. I don't play games. So I have absolutely no interest there. And I do understand that many if not most of the Wine userbase uses Wine for nonprofessional applications. That's fine. But we need to be careful to understand that Linux is primarily a server system, on top of which various desktop solutions have been provided.

I am almost exclusively involved with server applications. So I'm sorry that I felt the need to respond as I did, having to justify why I would want to do something that many who use Linux (as nothing more than a free alternative to Windows) wouldn't understand.

However, your answer was more to the point of my question, and therefore can only be met with respect.

Thank You!
Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
Shingoshi