[Wine] confused newbie

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 11:17:09 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:12 AM, ChristTrekker<wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> To launch a Windows exe from a command line, is it "wine <program>" or "wine start <program>"?  I've seen both mentioned in the documentation.

Wine program is more common, but wine start program is 'more proper'.
It sets paths properly, and supports more file formats.

> From what I can tell, every Wine user has their own copy of everything in the ~/.wine dir.  Would it make more sense to install apps in a common location for everyone to use?  This doesn't seem to be addressed in any FAQ that I have seen.

No, this isn't supported. Multiple people using the same wineprefix
can cause corruption.

> Having a list of what Windows apps (or clones thereof) are included in the standard Wine install would be useful, but I haven't found anything like this.  Am I just missing it?

Such as? Many builtin programs are included, e.g., wordpad, notepad,
cmd, msiexec, etc.

--
-Austin