[Wine] new wine user, basic advice needed

A. Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 11:01:00 CDT 2009

wine_and_women,

Here's a link to some projects on freshmeat that match "Babylon".

http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=babylon&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

The first search result is unrelated (its a chat client, not a
translator), but scroll down and read the descriptions.  Some of them
may have installers for SuSE.

Freshmeat is a site with a lot of free software, and is a good place
to start if you're looking to replace your windows software.  Most of
us do a Google search and crawl message boards to find a replacement.
If you find one that was extremely hard to find, I suggest blogging
about it.  Example:
http://fatbuttlarry.blogspot.com/2007/12/hlsw-for-linux-ubuntu-quick-answer-sudo.html

There are some Wine utilities that are good to get acquainted with
such as "winetricks" which does a lot of the hard work for windows
programs that have very heavy Microsoft-only dependencies, dlls,
libraries, etc.

Some people swear by some non-free utilities like "CrossOver Office"
or "Cedega" which provide a Windows-like add/remove functionality for
Windows programs.  My experience is that they don't help that much and
sometimes are too dumbed down for Linux users, but they're worth
checking out.  Most of the posts here are for video games, but there's
still a lot of excitement around productivity tools!  Visit often
because what you learn will help others!

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro at gmail.com