[Wine] Orange Box on WINE (Mac OS X)

A. Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 11:57:39 CDT 2009

Holden,

The orange box has cd's, but you don't need any of them, as Steam will
download and install for you. Your username and password are all you
should need to play your games.

Download steam from here:
http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/images/btn/SteamInstall/btn_getSteam_english.gif

Unfortunately there's some issues running Source engine games (CSS,
HL2), and I'm going to quote Vitamin again here:

>  See HOW-TOs on AppDB for your applications. There are few things you can try.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5085

Since you are running on a Mac, you may experience some things
different, and things like a CDROM drive on a Mac can be their own
hurdle, so for now, try with the Steam installer (yeah it takes a
while to download each game).

My biggest success was with setting DirectX levels.  I assume these
issues are persistent with OS X as well.  Start from scratch with
Steam and leave the CDs aside for now.

The demo will automatically install through this link:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/219/

Just click "Install Demo".  Chances are Safari or Firefox won't know
how to open it, so (yes this will sound redundant) install Firefox for
WINDOWS and try the link through there.

-Tres

- Tres.Finocchiaro at gmail.com