[Wine] Introducing Winesharer - so pre-alpha it doesn't even work

jhansonxi wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Aug 9 17:29:06 CDT 2009

I'm announcing it again here in case you missed the it on Linux Today and LXer last week.

There have been questions posted here on how to do system-wide sharing of applications under Wine in order to save drive space and simplify installation.  It is possible and last year I started writing a bunch of scripts to make it easier.  Basically my scripts share a Windows application between different users on Wine by using Aufs to mount the common files in a read-only branch with a read/write branch in each user's home directory.  The main installer script is unfinished but the tests I did during development at the command line indicates that the theory behind it is correct.  The installer has to do a lot of text processing to get the Windows application menu entires (freedesktop.org XDG files) installed for each user.  This mess was done via a bash script which is tedious for text processing.  It needs to be reimplemented in something usable like Python, Perl, etc.  Read the blog posting (http://jhansonxi.blogspot.com/2009/08/introducing-winesharer-so-pre-alpha-it.html) for more information.