[Wine] Wine lags A LOT when programs are started—and getting worse

crtbt wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 12 16:09:49 CDT 2009

Hi, I'm a pretty new Linux (Ubuntu) user, only a few weeks, and I few days ago I started having troubles with Wine.  I posted this over at the Ubuntu Forums but haven't gotten a reply yet, so I thought I'd try here as well.  I'll just quote my posts.

First post:

> [...]
>
> I then noticed that whenever the skipping happened foobar and every other wine program lagged or was temporarily frozen, while all the native Linux apps still worked fine.  And I saw that when opening other Wine programs, like the configuration panel and Notepad, even when foobar isn't running, there were similar CPU spikes and lags from wineserver.  So the problem doesn't seem to just have to do with the sound.
>
> What's bothering me is that this just started happening.  A few days ago it was working fine.  Additionally, it seems that since I've started trying to solve the problem it has actually gotten worse; when it started the sound would skip for only a few seconds, and now it usually skips for about 15 seconds.  I've tried to fix the system by removing and rolling back packages that were installed since the last time I remember it working right, but nothing seems to help.  Here is what I believe happened between when everything was fine and when I first noticed the problem:
>
> 	I installed the cdrdao package.
>
> 	I upgraded flashplugin-installer because Ubuntu told me to.
>
> 	I accidentally installed new graphics drivers and screensaver packages from https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive/ppa because I had tried it before and forgot to remove it from my software sources and just accepted the Ubuntu upgrade message without thinking.  But these wouldn't start (not) working until I restarted later...
>
> 	I installed Audacity.
>
> 	I installed the Windows app Soulseek using Wine.
>
> 	I installed Nicotine+.
>
> 	I installed Mixxx.
>
> 	I installed the jackd and qjackctl packages because I thought it would get Mixxx working.
>
> 	I uninstalled the jackd and qjackctl packages because I got Mixxx working without them.
>
> 	I restarted my computer and it didn't work right because of those graphics drivers.  I reverted back to the original drivers and screensaver pack and got the graphics working again.
>

> Somewhere along the line there Wine got messed up.  I've since uninstalled most of that stuff (Audacity, Soulseek, Nicotine+, Mixxx... everything except cdrdao and flashplugin-installer... and I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything) but Wine is still giving me trouble.
>
> Here are my specs:
>
> 	Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
>
> 	Wine 1.0.1
>
> 	AMD Athlon 2600+
>
> 	1GB RAM
>
> 	Abit NF7-S v2 Motherboard
>
> 	ATI Radeon 9600 256MB
>
> 	All Wine settings default except sound (ALSA, full hardware acceleration, 44100 Hz, 16 bit, DirectSound driver emulation)
>

> Also, I don't know if it's related, but every Wine program I run from the terminal gives this error:
>

> Code:
> err:reg:SCSI_getprocentry bus id line scan count error (fscanf returns 0, expected 4)

Second post:

> This problem seems to be getting worse and fast... when I made this thread a few hours ago it was taking me about 30 seconds to start up foobar2000. Right now it just took at least 5 minutes and the amount of skipping when I press the multimedia keys has gone from about 15 seconds to over 90. Restarting doesn't help at all, it might even be making it worse. I've also noticed that the whenever I start new programs (this doesn't happen when I use the multimedia keys and the program is already running, however) the amount of memory in use goes up to obscenely high level. When I started WinAmp wineserver was using about 600 MB and winamp.exe was using about 200 MB. Once the program is fully started it drops back to a lower level. Something similar happened with foobar. Here's the full terminal output for both of those programs:
>
> WinAmp:
>

> Code:
> alex at alex-desktop:~$ wine "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe"
> err:reg:SCSI_getprocentry bus id line scan count error (fscanf returns 0, expected 4)
> ^Terr:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7f0048 "heap.c: HEAP.critSection" wait timed out in thread 001c, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
> Terminated
>

> (I had to force quit because it was taking forever to close.)
>
> foobar2000:
>

> Code:
> alex at alex-desktop:~$ wine "C:\Program Files\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe"
> err:reg:SCSI_getprocentry bus id line scan count error (fscanf returns 0, expected 4)
> fixme:win:RegisterShellHookWindow (0x1002a): stub
> fixme:win:WIN_CreateWindowEx Parent is HWND_MESSAGE
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32cce8,0x00000000), stub!
> fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32cce8,0x00000000), stub!
> fixme:dciman:DCICreatePrimary 0x400 0x2ab128c
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {1968106d-f3b5-44cf-890e-116fcb9ecef1} not registered
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {1968106d-f3b5-44cf-890e-116fcb9ecef1} not registered
> err:ole:create_server class {1968106d-f3b5-44cf-890e-116fcb9ecef1} not registered
> fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {1968106d-f3b5-44cf-890e-116fcb9ecef1} could be created for context 0x17
> fixme:dciman:DCICreatePrimary 0x41c 0x2ab1ca4
>

> (I'm still running it now.)

Since I made those posts yesterday the load times haven't gotten much worse, but I haven't restarted since then and this was the first time I ran Wine since then (if either of those things matter).

Thank you,
Alex