[Wine] SystemShock2+Wine: mon. rez out of range/loss of keyboard

JimoftheAbyss wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 13 04:55:50 CDT 2009

I just discovered that SS2 has been tested in wine and apparently runs pretty well, so I decided to give it a shot. I intalled it from cd using the guidelines given in the AppDB, ie: i used the -ltngforce method of install, I installed the SS2Tool patch, and disabled cutscenes.
    Each time I run it fullscreen, the main menu is always set to 640x480, and that causes my monitor to bug out, saying that the rez is out of range. After tinkering with winecfg for a bit, I realized I could get a 1024x768 window for the game itself (but not the main menu) by just switching the game rez to 1024.
    Problem with that was that the window borders cut off the heads up display on the bottom of the screen. So, I tried the same thing in fullscreen (no virtual desktop). What happened was that I could get to the game in the right resolution, BUT, the keyboard wouldn't work. Not a single flippin key did anything. The mouse worked fine however. The only thing I could do was Ctrl+C out of wine. My terminal output was this:

Code:
jota at puzzleBox:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Sshock2$ taskset -c 1 wine "shock2.exe"
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on USB Uno MIDI Interface, disabling mixer
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f6f4,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 16
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
err:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Can't find a suitable iPixelFormat
fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_ValidateDevice (0x1618c0) : stub
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_ValidateDevice (0x1618c0) : stub
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_ValidateDevice (0x1618c0) : stub

Could any of those fixme's be causing my keyboard to fritz out like that? I had no problems with graphics other than the game always starting in 640x480 by default.
If I run the game in a window doing the same thing the terminal output is the same.  Any ideas on this? I admit I am using Wine v 1.01, so I guess the first thing to do is to try an upgrade, but I kinda doubt that that is the issue here.