[Wine] Re: add wine repository does not work

mushroomboy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Aug 14 00:39:36 CDT 2009

feldmaus wrote:

> mushroomboy wrote:
> > Just use the standard repositories.
> >
> > Sid now has 1.1.27
> >
> > add
> >
> > deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main
> >
> > update, install wine
> >
> > disable sid by putting # in front and running update again
>
> that is not a good idea, this would damage my debian lenny system.

Well the only other current way to get it then would be to compile it, and if your using 64 bit have fun, because there is no 'clean' way to build for the current lenny/squeeze/sid unless you have a 32bit chroot.

As far as damage?  I very much doubt it would damage lenny, but as for now that's probably your only choice.  Rarely does installing one package from sid break a system... and considering wine isn't even a core component I doubt it'll break anything.  You can always watch apt/synaptic to see if it wants to remove anything and say no.  But really lenny isn't a system that will normally get updated wine versions.  So you have two choices, you wait it out till lamesh comes back or you go for sid.  Don't know what else to tell ya, that's how stable/testing/unstable works.