[Wine] Re: Printing from wine problem - loosing my hair

ogardarsson wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Aug 16 05:16:36 CDT 2009

Martin Gregorie wrote:
> That certainly shows CUPS is listening and, as I said, an earlier thread reckoned that connecting through the IPP protocol was WINE's preferred
> way of printing.
>
> If the telnet trick connects to those ports and you still can't get WINE
> to talk to CUPS there must be a WINE problem and that's out of my
> knowledge area: so far I haven't used WINE with any programs that can
> print.
>

> Martin

Thanks for the help Martin. I'm closer now to isolating the problem. So far I have been able to make this work on all versions of Ubuntu with Gnome, but if Gnome installation is skipped, something is missing in the Wine access to the cups print engine. Tried turning off the print sharing on systems with Gnome and it did not stop Wine apps from printing. Something is blocking wine programs from printing and it does not seem to have anything to do with the general cups settings as such.