[Wine] Printing from wine problem - loosing my hair

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Aug 16 05:42:17 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-16 at 05:16 -0500, ogardarsson wrote:
> So far I have been able to make this work on all versions of Ubuntu
> with Gnome, but if Gnome installation is skipped, something is missing
> in the Wine access to the cups print engine.

Does mean you are using a text-only system or that you're using a
different desktop, e.g KDE or XFCE?

> Tried turning off the print sharing on systems with Gnome and it did
> not stop Wine apps from printing. Something is blocking wine programs
> from printing and it does not seem to have anything to do with the
> general cups settings as such.

That's odd, but there is presumably some Gnome-specific printing code,
if only to put the printer notification on the menu bar when there are
documents in the queue. At least, I assume KDE has another way of doing
that and XFCE probably lacks it. Disclaimer: I don't use KDE and my only
XFCE exposure is when I'm using VNC. I realise this isn't much direct
use, but it may give you some ideas on where to look. It also sounds
like something that needs following up on Ubuntu forums.

Martin