[Wine] Alsa audio -- FYI update

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 16 11:49:46 CDT 2009

Alsa audio started working a couple of days ago with wine and then stopped working yesterday.
Here is my experience.

Pulseaudio cannot be removed any more. So I reinstalled the system and left it there.

I compiled wine git and installed, and then installed DNS 10.

Then I re-booted, ran killall pulseaudio in terminal, and started the program with winecfg's sound set to alsa.

Everything worked fine. The sound driver came up in winecfg as "Creative CA0110-IBG" and in DNS as "default." Sound quality was pretty good.

That was Friday.

Now the same steps appear to produce no sound at all. Although I get no error messages, the program does not respond.

If I don't kill pulseaudio, then I get dSnoop:default, which seems to start working and then freezes.

I got something yet again when I tried to compile wine and install the program with pulseaudio killed. But nothing worked.