[Wine] Question on .NET, Mono and Visual C++ and WINE

Irrlicht wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Aug 18 09:53:50 CDT 2009

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, forgive me if not.

I will soon start to contribute to a FOSS project written in Visual C++ and Visual Studio. I am a pure Linux user and was wondering what is the right way to make this app finally run on WINE. And how may I use a Visual Studio project on Linux? I know, this is probably kinda off-topic, but after all I still need a development environment where I can develop and run Windows applications through WINE. Hence the post here.

Oh, and this application uses/communicates with native Windows binaries. So I'm somewhat bound to WINE.

So, is it possible to develop with some IDE and Mono, compile then to Windows binaries and run it through WINE? Or should I use .NET and create those binaries? Or run the application native on Linux and let it communicate with the win binaries through WINE? I'm confused, help me! :P

Cheers,
Daniel