[Wine] Issues with ATI?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 17:40:10 CDT 2009

2009/8/18 Tord <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:
> David Gerard wrote:

>> ... so next year they should be a lot better, even if they're less than ideal right now ;-)

> Yeah... the thing is that my laptop died 3 weeks ago and my desktop has overall rather old components and a broken graphics card. My desktop still "works" but I have a crap lot of graphical bugs like my cursor just being a cloud of pixels.
> I don't really have until next year. I need something right now.

Yeah, that was implicit in my answer. "It'll be great REAL SOON NOW!"
"Um, ok. That's nice. I'll just sit here till then."

> But as I said. I'll just go with a nVidia card but it means that I'll have to do a little research. I find it much easier to pick an appropriate ATI card (hd 4850/4870 would have been nice).

nVidia's driver is still binary-only. (The open source effort,
Nouveau, is now slightly usable by people other than its developers,
but no-one would recommend it.) And Wine can exercise bugs in the
binary driver, which nVidia don't care about except for real apps
rather than test cases. But the performance is ridiculously far ahead
of anyone except ATI, and so-I-hear they're ahead of ATI this year
too.

- d.