[Wine] FYI -- Just to let you know of potential sound problems

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 19 15:03:49 CDT 2009

I have the latest version of Ubuntu Studio (Karmic) and just re-installed it today.
I use non-pulse applications, including Audacity and Dragon NaturallySpeaking running under wine. I have tried disabling pulseaudio every way I know how.
I am getting no sound, mostly due to what are described as timeout errors.

Ubuntu has been working to make it run with pulseaudio properly disabled, so that the few of us who don't want it don't have to have it. There is now an option among System / Preferences / Startup Applications that prevents it from starting up.
But the whole thing appears to have growing pains, and more than a few bugs. (I filed one or two.)
I have been using Dragon NaturallySpeaking for years and I thought I knew every work-around in the book to get sound running without pulseaudio, either using alsa or oss or alsa-oss. I have tried most of them in the past 3 days, but I'm giving up, and waiting for updates.
It's NOT a wine problem, I don't think, because Audacity doesn't run either.