[Wine] Running a Windows dedicated server with Wine through ssh

s1dest3pnate wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 19 21:21:10 CDT 2009

I want to use Wine to run a dedicated server. The dedicated server uses a config file and is completely invisible; the dedicated server doesn't try to open any windows and simply runs in the background. When I try to run it, Wine gives an error stating that the application tried to create a Window and tells me to make sure my X server is running and that $DISPLAY is correct.

The dedicated server does not try to open a window so why am I getting this error? Can the dedicated server be ran without an X server?

I'm looking for the simplest solution here. If I need an X server, what is a good one and how do I install it? Secondly, what command (with parameters) should be using to run my dedicated server appropriately.

OS: CentOS 5.2 64Bit

I'm currently attempting to run the dedicated server with:
wine lfs.exe /cfg=setup.exe

and I've also tried:
wineconsole lfs.exe /cfg=setup.exe

Both give the same error mentioned above.

I do not know the difference between running wine or wineconsole.

Thanks in advance!