[Wine] A new kind of feature request

paucarre wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Aug 21 01:37:30 CDT 2009

Hello,
unfortunately it is very difficult to prove that some Windows technologies are necessary.
In my country (Spain) and others lots of organizations have custom closed-source applications developed mainly in Visual Basic. This kind of applications have a complex deployment (most of them are client ( UI + logic) - server (Database) ) and use local languages such as Catalan or Basque. So, it is not only illegal to publish this applications but they are difficult to test.

Lots of compatible Wine applications are games, this is due to its widespread but it just solves the "desktop" home Windows dependency. There are many work desktops that could use Linux but they depend on one of this custom rare closed-source applications that cost lot of money and have private obscure databases that can't be migrated.

We could add some kind of web module where this kind of users could add their Windoes API needs instead of program/software/game needs.

I hope you have into account this kind of problem when you decide to develop a functionality for Wine.