[Wine] iSky installs iTunes, Internet Explorer and Skype on Ubuntu

Random Squires wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Aug 23 15:53:59 CDT 2009

##A copy of the announcement posted on the Ubuntu Forums - just thought it may be of interest to someone

iTUNES, INTERNET EXPLORER and SKYPE INSTALL EASILY AND WORK PERFECTLY

Hello all,
I'd like to announce a script I wrote called iSky. It is an interactive terminal-based installer for Skype, iTunes and Internet Explorer. It is designed for users with minimal expertise in Linux and Wine.

Put simply: By selecting "Install Dependencies", iSky automatically adds the WineHQ repos to the user's sources list.
Then, iSky installs the latest versions of wine and cabextract.

Users can then choose to install Skype, iTunes, or Internet Explorer.

The Skype option is merely a useful script which fetches and installs the package from the website, and saves the user from having to use nasty non-free repos, many of which hold out of date versions anyway.

The iTunes option fetches and installs iTunes 8.0 (under Wine). I have tested this, and it works like a charm. N.B: I do not own an ipod, but iTunes installs and runs perfectly.

The Internet Explorer option fetches the latest release of ies4linux, extracts the tarball and runs the installer that is a part of that project.

iSky is simply a shell script, so all that is needed is to download it from the site: https://sourceforge.net/projects/isky/
Copy it into the /usr/bin directory and then make it executable and run it. Contact me if you need baby-steps instructions as to how you do this.

So, please download it, let me know if you find it useful.
Contact me with questions, suggestions, thanks, rants etc etc
oh and yes I know Internet Explorer is a piece of sh1t, but some people are forced to use it for online banking etc, and if you ignore them they will go straight back to windows.

Thanks
Eddie