[Wine] Issues with ATI?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 24 20:57:55 CDT 2009

DaVince wrote:
>dj--alex wrote:
>> for Linux
>> under ATI
>> normal playing only WOW, Oblivion, Morrowind , UT (classic) and games ID software
>My case:
>for Linux
>under ATI
>Pretty much no 3D games will work well. Wine or otherwise. Choosing a proprietary ATI driver is not an option for my card. :(
>
>Point: just because it works well for you doesn't mean it would work well for others. Yes, there are some ATI cards out there that will work well on Linux with the proprietary drivers, but NVidia is still doing much better in
>this case.

Sounds like you have an older ATI card which AMD/ATI decided, rightfully, to not support anymore.  Time to upgrade.  BTW, NVidia did the same thing and there are many unhappy NVidia card owners that will not upgrade to Vista and may not upgrade to Windows 7 when it is available.  This is a financial decision where it is not financially rewarding to support older hardware.  In some cases, it is not possible to do so as the hardware cannot support what we want use the card for.

James McKenzie