[Wine] Code Page Changes

dizwell wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Aug 28 18:31:24 CDT 2009

I'm running PL/SQL Developer under Wine in order to do development work with an Oracle database. I created a procedure that, at one point, used extended characters (things like ÿæç and so on). When that was compiled, however, all those characters were stored simply as question marks, which is Oracle's way of telling you that there is a code page mismatch (i.e., that your client has submitted a character code for which there is no valid match in the database character set).

If I was running natively on Windows, I would at this point issue the command chcp 850 and re-launch PL/SQL Developer. Now the client tool runs with the right code page, the extended characters get stored correctly (I fired up Windows in a virtual machine to prove this).

However, I don't know what the equivalent is in Wine, or if such a code page change is even possible there.

I know it's not a problem with my Linux install itself, because if run the java-based SQL Developer application, that allows me to type in and store the correct extended descriptions, natively in Linux. The problem only arises when I run an application with Wine.

If anyone can tell me how to configure/re-configure/dynamically alter the code page that Wine apps run in, I would be grateful.