[Wine] Re: Winecfg: err alsa could not find PCM playback element

sgtmattbaker wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Aug 29 07:10:55 CDT 2009

I have a soundblaster audigy 4. I am somewhat sure that I have a PCM playback channel but I could be wrong. There is an option to change the playback device in the sound settings to Audigy ADC capture/PCM playback but when ALSA is used it does not work. If I choose that option for OSS it does.

This is somewhat unrelated but what is the difference between OSS and ALSA (obviously a loaded question)? Why would you use one over the other? Why isn't there just one way to make the sound work and get that to work instead of having to fix 2 or 3 different sound subsystems?

Do you think any of this has to do with my setup: when I click on the audio tab in wine it takes probably 15 seconds to load. None of the other tabs do that.

Thanks.