[Wine] help poor performance on ubuntu jaunty

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 29 13:48:57 CDT 2009

Please bottom post in messages on the Wine Mailing list, it is our convention.
On Saturday, August 29, 2009 Nicola Cocca wrote:

>OK, I'll remember when I change the hardware...
>But I'm not sure that the trouble was with the way Linux handle the card. Indeed all linux native apps work perfectly and quickly.
>
>Just wine is slow.

Wine is very hard on drivers and hardware.  My MacBookPro always turns its fans on when running Wine.  Most Mac programs, except games do not.

Poorly written drivers will be exposed for what they are under Wine as well.  AMD is trying to fix this and one of their developers is lurking in the developer and user mailing lists to discover problems that we are experiencing with their products.  Please post the following (if you have not done so already):

Program you are trying to run to include any patches applied)
ATI card you are using, memory size and version of AMD/ATI driver and whether it is open-source or obtained from AMD.
Version of Wine you are using.
Any patches applied to Wine to help with video problems.
Version and distribution of Linux you are using.
Any patches applied to Linux to attempt to resolve video problems including special kernel builds.

Thank you.

James McKenzie