[Wine] Wine Crashes with EVE-Online

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 30 18:31:46 CDT 2009

slotimus wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> slotimus wrote:
>>

>>> glx gears crashes the entire desktop.
>>>
>>> Fed up, rolling back to 8.10
>>>

>> This is NOT a Wine problem and we've told you that the propriatary AMD
>> drivers has a problem (hint to the AMD lurkers out here that this is a
>> test case you folks can use.)
>>
>> You could either:
>>
>> 1.  Do what you are doing, roll back to 8.1
>> 2.  Install the Open Source ATI video drivers and see if they work.
>>
>> Your choice.  I'd rather do the second than the first.  It is a real
>> pain to do roll backs.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>>

> I was on the open source drivers. They ran everything else fine (compiz etc) but for some reason just wouldn't run the app.

You should disable 3D effects like Compiz before attempting to run
Wine.  The two are not compatible.  If you did this, please disregard.

Please be aware that Wine exercises some pretty obscure driver code and
this can and does cause headaches.   There is a person lurking here,
now, from AMD/ATI that is tracking problems reported with their
drivers.   If you are using their video cards, please report the card
type, firmware revision and video driver type and version with any report.

James McKenzie