[Wine] Absolute noob needs help getting and useing the right bits

Skellibert wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Aug 31 23:54:56 CDT 2009

We are trialing UBUNTU on my son's computer and want to load WINE so that he can use some of his windows programs - of course mostly games.....

Our problem is that the PC is a standalone with no internet connection at this time - it will soon. We downloaded wine-1.1.28.tar.bz2 onto a usb drive and copied over, but we are such know-nothings about this that we are stuck. I have seen something about a key but I am not sure that we need it.

We managed to get it to do something but the window closes too fast to read the message, and we don't know where to go from there.

My son knows even less than I do so we need some really basic instructions on what to get and where, and what to do with it.

Sorry if this is silly, but I am interested in this OS, and I really want to give my son the opportunity to get involved in the "underside of computers", which if course is not as open on windows etc. as it is with this.

Make fun of my lack of knowledge by all means (I can take it  [Laughing] ) but please give us some absolute noob help - you can not insult my intelligence on this matter, no matter how hard you try. [Rolling Eyes]  [Embarassed]  [Laughing]  [Laughing]  [Laughing]  [Laughing]

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave.