[Wine] Java Virtual Machine Error

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Dec 1 05:09:55 CST 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 23:29 -0600, doh123 wrote:
> a Windows specific java app?  thats freaky... java is supposed to be
> all about not requiring a certain platform.... are you sure it has to
> run on a Window install of a java virtual machine... and can't just
> run on a Linux one?  I wonder why anyone would take the time to write
> an app in Java just to lock it down to Windows only...

Thats true as long as the app only uses a GUI, files, databases, a
printer and network connections. However, this app uses serial ports and
on Windows that requires JNI calls to native code - that's its problem.

Portability requires rewriting the native code, which is typically C or
C++, for each OS.

The implementation might be slightly more flexible if the Java app used
sockets to talk to a program that translated between a socket and a
serial port, but this program would still need to be ported to new
operating systems. I think socat could be used as the interface on
UNIX-like systems.

Martin