[Wine] Re: Memory Limitations for WINE 1.1.33 under Mac OS Leopard

tpatko wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Dec 3 11:09:34 CST 2009

DEAR WINE DEVELOPERS:

Using the following very simple memory test program (written by the lead PC GAMESS / Firefly developer Professor Alex Granovsky) I am able to reproduce the same memory limitations as reported for my computational chemistry program between WINE 1.1.21 and 1.1.33.  The memory limitations are actually the same when running under LEOPARD AND SNOW LEOPARD and are irrespective of what OS it was compiled under.

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <windows.h>

void main (int argc, char* argv[]) {
     unsigned int size;
     void *ptr;

     if (argc != 2) exit(1);

     size = atoi(argv[1]);

     if (size > 4095) exit(1);

     ptr = VirtualAlloc(NULL,size<<20,MEM_RESERVE|MEM_COMMIT,PAGE_READWRITE);

     if (!ptr) {
        printf("Failed to allocate memory!");
        exit(2);
     }

     printf("%d MB of virtual memory successfully allocated.",size);
     exit(0);

}

Building this source and linking it as LARGEADDRESSAWARE should yield a suitable memory test binary.  If necessary, I can send a precompiled binary.

This simple memory test program takes in a single argument in units of MB.  For WINE 1.1.21 I get 1530MB as the limit (1540MB fails) and for WINE 1.1.33 I get 1010MB as the limit (1020MB fails).  Any ideas and explanation for the deterioration in the ability to allocate memory between the older and newer versions?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Thomas